Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Te-Erika's Blog: My Wish For Health Insurance


My new year's wishes included health insurance.

Yeah, that's horrible. It is the one thing that I have been lacking for the past 5 years. It's partially my fault. If I could stomach working in a corporate environment than I could have insurance but my happiness comes from the service industry. Working as a waitress doesn't allow you to afford health insurance. I daydream about going to the doctor and getting a check up. I have to go to Planned Parenthood when I have problems 'down there' and I have to go to the emergency room if I have any other problems with my health. I signed up for the free healthcare but when you make an appointment its usually 4 to 5 months out.

I can't blame the government, although it would be easy to do that. I have to blame myself. Until about 4 weeks ago I had a 'pack a day' smoking habit that cost me more than $200 a month. If I can pay $200 a month for cigarettes then I can afford to save for a doctors visit.

In fact since I stopped smoking I managed to save $300 and I went to the dentist yesterday to have a tooth pulled that has been aching for more than 2 months. I tried everything to reduce the pain of that toothache. I took aspirin. I rinsed with Listerine. I used concentrated mouthwash. I bit down on tea bags. I bought clove oil and placed drops on my tooth. Everything helped with the pain but it wasn't until I had to go to the ER and they gave me antibiotics that the pain began to subside, not completely but it felt better after a few days.

After Jack Jr., one of my customers at Denny's saw me in agony with my toothache during work, he gave me a $25 off gift certificate to TLC Dental in Dania. I went over there and they took such good care of me. It was as though the doctor and his assistant actually cared about me. I've never had such a good experience at the dentist before. I hope I can go back again to get the rest of my dental work done.

Even though I struggle I know that I am on my way to a successful life because I put in the work necessary. Its a different kind of work. Its not the same as the work most people do to keep their jobs. It's the work of an entrepreneur.

It's amazing how we prioritize our lives and then blame others for the results. I blame no one for my financial situation or any struggle I am in. My life result is my fault. I take full responsibility. And when I win, it's my fault too.

I'm getting my mind right. I am preparing to win.

Feels so good.

Te-Erika

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...