Wednesday, August 3, 2011

REBUILD: Material Success Means Nothing


Today I woke up around 4am. At the homeless shelter there is a 5am wake up call. By the time 5am rolled around, my stomach was growling and all I wished for was a bowl of cereal.

If you have a refrigerator with food in it, you are extremely blessed. Breakfast is served at the shelter at 7am and if you don't have snacks you will go hungry until they feed you.

This made me think of all the people in the world who have homes of their own who are depressed and sad about life. It seems so incredible to me that I used to be the same way. I was sitting up in my own home with money in the bank and a car to drive and I hated myself for so long. I kept these expectations for my life that I hadn't met yet as my marker for success, yet the attainment of those material things are what I long for right now.

This leads me to believe, or rather confirms my new belief that material success isn't the proper gauge for life success. It doesn't matter. Happiness comes from within. It is not influenced by any outside circumstances or achievements.

It can't be if I can manage to smile and laugh in THIS situation yet so many others who are far better off financially are killing themselves mentally because they have but they want MORE.

Disconnect material success from happiness. Learning to achieve the bliss of gratitude for Be~ing is the only way to truly enjoy this existence.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...